Friday, May 31, 2013

Really? 1 Year? Really??

I can't believe it's been a year since my last post.  Ugh!  I often think about writing.  Many days I come up with my clever title and a fun picture that will engage the viewers.  Much like life, though, I end up getting sidetracked and skip right over.  Well, here's an update:

1.  Friends - Some time ago Darling Bryan talked with me about my need for friends.  He would go out every other week and some weekend with his guy friends and I could see the importance of it.  I just didn't see my need for that kind of comrade connection.  I have my family, I have my work, I have my kids.  I didn't want to stretch into building a core group of girl friends.  Little did I know that like was going to go all willy nilly on me.  My sisters and brother were all out of town, my mother would be sick with cancer, and my boys would be independent thinkers and free spirits like their parents.  Because of the convo with Bryan, I had decided to dive in to some promising relationships.  In God's perfect timing, these friendships were born.  Just in time for my moment of need, I had declared myself all-in.  What could have been the most devastating time of my life, it was the most precious.  I will never be the same and I'm so grateful.






2.  Family - I am a proud mom.  I know that every mother thinks their child is beautiful, wonderful, and above average.  My children knock those children out of the park.  I don't know how these boys have turned out as amazing as they are.  In the past 12 months, we have had health issues batter down on our family unit.  We've lost loved ones.  We've been financially strapped.  And you know what?  They have weathered the storms stronger than any adult I know.  Need some potassium?  I have a 6-year-old budding nutritionist who will come up with a fix.  Homeless people need a friend?  I have a 10-year-old who talk with you and show you how to make paper airplanes because it can make your day better.  Need a hug?  These guys are the best huggers in town.


So, how did they end up like this? Easy - this guy.  
I can never say enough about the man I married.  He's my best friend.  He's a loving father.  He's a goofball and the geek to my nerd.  

3.  Fun.  Oh yes!  There was fun!













After all, if you can't find joy in the tough times, you'll miss the rainbow.  To smile and mean it is a beautiful thing.  And to love each other despite your surrounding circumstances makes this life totally worth it.  I love my life.  All the crazy, too.  It's like I've been given this gift of watercolor paints and I can choose what colors to use.  I choose bright.  I choose deep.  I choose rich.  I choose to create memories and cherish the experience of making the art.  I choose to find the fun.  

I don't know when I'll write again.  Fingers crossed that it will be soon.  If it's not, just know it's because I'm knee deep in color.