Thursday, December 12, 2013

Advent Devotional Part 1

The following was published in our Church Advent Devotional on Dec. 9th.  I'll totally sign autographs if asked.  

I love to surprise people. I'm sneaky that way. Sometimes this means I'm stealthy in the office and jump out at a co-worker. Sometimes it means sending a random note to someone who is not expecting it. Sometimes it means showering someone with hugs and kisses while they're trying to watch TV. (That one is mostly reserved for the men in my house.)

What I would not like is for someone to be surprised to find out that I'm in a loving committed relationship with Christ. I think it would be so sad if someone knew me but didn't know that very important facet of my life. I don't wear a
"Got Jesus" ball cap nor do I have a "Jesus is my Homey" t-shirt (completely fine if you do, by the way). What I do have is a friendship with Christ that I wear on my sleeve.

I encourage you to love one another, even when the others aren't lovely. That's what Christ did for us. By treating one another with kindness, we are making it much less surprising when they learn that God's hand is on our heart and in our lives. He commanded, not suggested, this of us:

"Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples-when they see the love you have for each other."
John 13:35 (The Message)

Dulce Stevens 

No comments: